Gastric sleeve surgery is a common weight loss procedure. However, there is a risk of leaks occurring after the surgery. In this blog post, we will discuss the signs of a gastric sleeve leak and ways to prevent them from happening.
How Gastric Sleeve Is Performed
A gastric sleeve, or sleeve gastrectomy, is a surgery that removes a large portion of the stomach. This reduces the amount of food that can be eaten at one time and helps to reduce weight. The surgery is usually performed laparoscopically, which means that small incisions are made in the abdomen and a camera is inserted to guide the surgeon.
The Gastric Sleeve Procedure
During the procedure, the surgeon will make an incision in the stomach just above the belly button. The larger part of the stomach will be removed and what is left will be shaped like a tube or “sleeve.” This new smaller stomach will hold less food than the old stomach did.
You may be interested in gastric sleeve surgery. Visit the link to know more about it – Everything You Need To Know About The Gastric Sleeve!
Why Is There a Risk of Leaks After Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Any surgery has risks, and gastric sleeve surgery is no different. One of the risks associated with this procedure is a leak from the stomach. This can happen for several reasons, including:
- The surgical incision may not be closed properly (surgeon error).
- Your stomach may not be healing correctly (no one’s fault).
- Fat or oil from the food you eat may cause the stitches to break open or solid food can stress the sutures, causing them to burst (patient error).
Signs of a Gastric Sleeve Leak
If you have any of these signs after gastric sleeve surgery, you may have a leak:
- You have a fever over 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You are experiencing severe abdominal pain.
- You are vomiting blood or material that looks like coffee grounds.
- You experience rapid weight gain in the first few days after surgery.
- You develop a rash on your skin.
Ways to Prevent Gastric Sleeve Leaks
There are several things you can do to help prevent a leak from happening post-surgery:
- Follow your surgeon’s instructions carefully after your gastric sleeve surgery in Tijuana, Mexico. This includes taking all of your medications and following a restricted gastric sleeve diet.
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol. Both of these can increase your risk of developing a leak.
- If you experience any symptoms of a leak, go to the hospital right away. Do not wait for them to go away on their own.
- Be proactive and ask your surgeon any questions you have about post-surgery care. This will help to ensure that you are doing everything possible to prevent a leak from happening.
If you have any other questions or concerns about gastric sleeve surgery, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We are here to help you every step of the way.
Learn more about the recovery process by reading What Medications Are Off Limits After Gastric Sleeve Surgery?