Why Duodenal Switch Surgery is The Most Effective, Safe and Reversible of All Gastric Procedure Options we offer.
Duodenal switch surgery is a combination of a Gastric Sleeve and Gastric Bypass Surgery. It is one of the more rare primary treatments for morbid obesity that is usually covered by insurance. The procedure is occasionally done as a secondary procedure after a failed Gastric Band Surgery.
What is a Duodenal Switch Surgery?
Duodenal Switches are done by surgically stapling about 70% of the stomach off and leaving the rest of the stomach connected as it normally does to the first part of the intestine (the duodenum). Then before the intestine reach the appendix the intestine is cut and then re-attached at a lower area of the intestine. This prevents the bile and digestive juices to only start processing the food when it gets further down the intestine resulting in less caloric absorption. Because of this longer period between eating and digestion of food, the food passes to the colon faster, and doesn’t process the full amount of calories you normally would have.
It is both restrictive and mal-absorptive. This procedure uses staples to reduce your stomach size to about 30% of its normal size. This limits the amount of food that you can eat in one sitting. Food will still pass through your stomach to its normal entry into the intestine. It is then re-routed and reconnected farther down the intestine. This creates significant mal-absorption of calories.
Duodenal Switch is a successful procedure when done with an experienced surgeon. It is a longer and more technically demanding surgery than a Gastric Band or Gastric Bypass. Because this procedure is both mal-absorptive and restrictive almost everyone loses weight.
Duodenal Switches typically create the longest bypass of the intestine which is why a surgeon must be careful to not bypass too much intestine. Duodenal Switch typically results in more weight loss than other Bariatric Procedures.
- You will lose the excess weight.
- It will reduce your hunger.
- You may have nutritional deficiencies.
- You will not get dumping syndrome if you eat sugar like other procedures.
- Many bariatric surgeons do not offer this procedure.
- It can require more than 6 hours of operating time.
- You will have to change your diet to get enough healthy calorie foods.
- You will likely improve or cure most or all of your obesity related comorbidities.
Are You a Good Candidate for Duodenal Switch Surgery?
To qualify for the Duodenal Switch, you must:
- Have metabolic syndrome who can have access to a permanent nutritional and psychological follow up are excellent candidates for this procedure.
- Must be very committed the post-operative routine and be willing to follow a nutritional supplement program in order to prevent malnourishment.
- Extremely obese individuals are typically not good candidates for this procedure due to the technical difficulty of carrying out the operation.
- Be over age 18
- Have a BMI over 35 or a BMI over 30 with Metabolic Syndrome (Hypertension, diabetes, Dyslipidemia) are good candidates for gastric bypass.
- Have tried to lose weight through exercise and diet modification
- Be committed to making the necessary lifestyle changes
How much Weight Loss can you expect from Duodenal Switches:
Duodenal Switch produces excellent long term weight loss based on clinical reporting. Many surgeons and studies report up to 70 to 80% excess weight loss with long term patient follow-up. Successful Bariatric Surgery is defined as a procedure that produces over 50% excess weight loss. Most studies report over 80% success rates for Duodenal Switch patients.
Obesity related comorbidities show the following cure rate after DS surgery:
- Type 2 Diabetes – 98% cured
- Hyperlipidemia – 99% cured
- Hypertension – 83% cured
- Sleep Apnea – 92% cured
For the reasons mentioned above, Duodenal Switch/BPD Surgery should always be a considered an operation. If dietary guidelines are not followed, it is possible to regain weight after significant weight loss.
- Length of Procedure: 2.5 – 3 hours
- Average Hospital Stay: 2 nights
- Recommended Time Off Work: 1 -2 weeks
- Typical Weight Loss: 95 – 100% of excess weight in 2 years
If you want to lose all those extra unwanted pounds, Duodenal Switch Surgery is the fastest and most effective option. Contact us today at 844.461.2831. Our friendly, knowledgeable coordinators will be happy to answer your questions and to schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Alejandro Lopez. During this visit, he will provide you with a comprehensive exam, discuss your weight loss options, and review the benefits of the procedure so that you can reach your ideal weight in 2017.
Call Our Offices Today at 844.461.2831 for a Free Weight loss Consultation.