Vetting Mexican weight loss surgeons can be difficult. Until you arrive for your surgery prep, you only ever talk to them online, and often, much of that communication goes through their support staff, not the doctor. Plus, for many of these doctors, there just aren’t as many online reviews as you would find for their U.S. counterparts.
So, how can you evaluate weight loss surgery doctors from afar? In truth, it isn’t all that different from what you would do if they were just down the road.
Make Sure They Meet Basic Criteria
Any weight loss surgeons in Tijuana, Mexico that you consider should be able to meet some basic criteria. While this won’t ensure they are perfect, it will weed out those who are unsuited to performing bariatric procedures.
- They are board certified bariatric surgeons. While the specifics of this are slightly different in Mexico, the idea behind it is still the same.
- Their practice offers ongoing support as part of their aftercare.
- The doctor and their staff listen to your concerns and happily answer questions.
- They must be experienced with your chosen procedure. If you want the gastric balloon in Mexico, you don’t want a surgeon who has only performed the surgery a few times.
- The practice demonstrates dedication to ongoing education and participates in professional groups.
Once you eliminate any doctor who doesn’t meet the above criteria, you can move on to more specific items that determine if the doctor is a good fit for you.
Find the Goldilocks Surgeon
You want the surgeon who is just right for you, so don’t settle on one just because they meet the above criteria. Bariatric surgery is a lot like plastic surgery in that you want a doctor who understands your vision for yourself and makes you feel comfortable and empowered. Some things you might want to consider as you zero in on the best gastric sleeve surgeon for you are as follows:
- Location: There are bariatric surgeons throughout Mexico who work with international clients, and some locations are more desirable than others. For example, surgery in Tijuana allows you to enter Mexico without a passport, while Guadalajara allows you to enjoy historic Mexico during your trip.
- Reviews: For this, don’t just stick to Google and Yelp. There are online forums specifically for bariatric surgeries in Mexico where you will not just get more feedback, but you can actually speak directly with past patients.
- Assistance: You are about to head to a foreign country to get a medical procedure, and in most cases, you can only bring one support person. You need to make sure their practice offers you the level of assistance you might need.
- Personality: Finally, you want a surgeon you feel comfortable with. If you find their personality doesn’t mesh with yours, it is ok to keep looking for one who does.
If you are considering gastric sleeve surgery in Tijuana, Mexico, or any other weight loss procedure, we encourage you to contact us, ALO Bariatrics. Not only do we meet the basic criteria, but we offer all-inclusive packages and support that will leave you feeling pampered. To learn more, fill out our contact form.