Bariatric surgery can reward you in countless ways. But myths persist about the surgery and about obesity itself. Here, metabolic specialists, shares bariatric surgery facts you should know about weight loss surgery.
1. Obesity is not just a weight problem.
Obesity is a metabolic disease. Your metabolism slows so that you can remain severely overweight even when eating a modest number of calories.
2. Surgery counteracts the metabolic changes.
After bariatric surgery, you can feel full and satisfied after eating just a small meal.
3. The risk is about the same as the risk for gallbladder surgery.
The health risks of bariatric surgery are much lower than the health risks of obesity itself.
4. Bariatric surgery is an emotional experience.
That’s why you get psychological as well as nutritional support beforehand.
5. Its health benefits go beyond weight loss.
Bariatric surgery often improves high blood pressure, sleep apnea, joint pain and type 2 diabetes.
6. Surgery can cure newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes.
If you’ve just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and have bariatric surgery, you may not need to start insulin shots.
You can check out the other half of this great list on The Cleveland Clinic’s Blog here: http://cle.clinic/2mWjxWq